Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, January 23, 2012

Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes


There is no better way to start baking again than a recipe with four ingredients. Yes, you heard (read?) me right. That's what I love about flourless recipes. I actually made these cupcakes before the Daring Bakers' Crostata, but I didn't have time to write a decent post. Not that I have plenty of time now, I should actually be studying Pharmaceutical Chemistry 2 for an exam on Thursday, but here I am.

Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 large eggs, separated, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
ice cream, for serving (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C). Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Melt butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over (not in = a pan of simmering water. Stir to combine, then remove bowl from heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
  2. With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until peaks are stiff and glossy but not dry (do not overbeat). Whisk one quarter of the beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten, gently fold mixture into remaining whites.
  3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until cupcakes are just set in centers, about 25 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes (their centers will sink). Cupcakes are best eaten the same day they are baked, keep at room temperature until ready to serve, topped with scoops of ice cream, if desired.

I chose these colorful cupcake liners that just scream Yay! I didn't have any ice cream at home, so I topped half of them with marmalade and whipped cream (second photo) and the other half just with whipped cream (first photo). They were very soft and moist and just melted in the mouth. I definitely encourage you all to try and make them. If you choose to top them with marmalade, use a sour one because the cupcakes themselves are sweet enough. And don't use Nutella, it's too sweet. Since they're best eaten the same day, I suggest you only use half of the ingredients (except if you have a big hungry family). I did and we managed to eat them all ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment