Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Monday, January 23, 2012

Candy Cakes



Guess who's back from London! And not just back, suffering from post-London depression too. I have a terrible cold that I always get when I come home from a vacation. London is awesome and I can't wait to go back (which, hopefully, will be in December). I saw the mummies in the British Museum, the dinosaurs in the Natural History Museum, one of the first Dyson vacuum cleaners in the Science Museum (it was pink!), nothing in Tate Modern (I still can't believe that any of those paintings qualify as art), and all the Monets, Manets and Picassos in the National Gallery. Oh yes, and I watched Inception in the BFI IMAX, the largest screen in Europe. It's my new favorite film (and I'm definitely coming back to this cinema)!

I spent my first minutes in central London buying an Oyster card at the Baker Street tube station. Which is also home to this beautiful bakery Candy Cakes. Their cakes and cupcakes were so cute! Unfortunately I couldn't decide which one I want, so we went to the hostel first and when we came back a few hours later, they were already closed. But that didn't stop me from coming back next morning! I'm not a fan of fruity flavors, so I chose the double chocolate cupcake. I paid the ridiculous price (3.50 pounds if I remember correctly, and the price to eat in was even higher) and got the cupcake wrapped in plastic and a cute paper bag.


I didn't even attempt to eat it in public because it looked so sticky. When I got home, I opened the package and found out that I was right, it was sticky. Very sticky. I think it was covered with melted chocolate, but there must have been something added to it, because it was too sweet to be made of chocolate only. And it was huge. For my first bite I had to open my mouth as wide as a snake, when it tries to swallow a whole elephant. Seriously. 


I wasn't too impressed with the flavor. The batter tasted good, but topped with this chocolate-whatever, it was so sweet that eating it would probably result in a diabetic coma. And I don't even have diabetes. So I stripped the cupcake and ate its lower parts only. 

This certainly wasn't worth the huge amount of money I paid for it (considering that I had to throw half of it away because it was inedible). If I ever come back to this bakery, I'm going to order one of their normal-looking cupcakes and hope they taste better. Which reminds me, they also serve beautiful cakes and other sweets, but my mission was to try cupcakes only.

The overly-sweet cupcake almost made me lose faith in chocolate cupcakes. But it didn't. I overdosed on chocolate though. For the first time in my life, which certainly means something! Candy Cakes, Shops D&E Jubilee & Bakerloo Lines


Booking Hall, 

Baker Street Underground Station
London NW1 5LA
0203 145 1857

No comments:

Post a Comment